Welcome to Islam
Accept Islam for your salvation
Live according to Islam for your spiritual progress
- AL-FATIHA (THE OPENING)|
- PROPHET MUHAMMAD|
THE SUFI TRADITION IN TORONTO
By: Siddiq Osman Noormuhammad
Azkaar and Awraad
The azkaar and awraad (regular voluntary invocations) most popular among the 'Alawiyyah are the Ratib and Wird al-Latif of Sayyidi wa Imami Mawlana 'AbdAllah bin 'Alawi al-Haddad, the Ratib of Sayyidina Al-Habib 'Umar Bin 'Abdirrahman al-'Attas, and the Wasila of Sayyidina al-Habib Muhammad Bin Zain Bin Sumait, Rahmatullahi 'alaihim ajma'een. Qasida Burda of Imam al-Buseeri Rahmatullahi 'alaih, is recited every month in congregation. All these bring shafa'a (healing) and maghfira (forgiveness). Among the Qadiriyyah, the Tasbeehaat to cleanse your heart are Laa Ilaha Illallah, (None is worthy of worship except Allah), Illallah, and Allahu, and these are recited in halaqa of zikr (circle of zikr) a hundred times each, while the supplications and salawaat of Shaykh 'Abdul Qadir Jilani Rahmatullahi alaih in The Manaqib are also well-known. The Zikr among the Jerrahiyyah with simultaneous but different recitals by two or more reciters spiritually invigorates the Zakireen. Zikr Paase Anfaas (with abated breath) as well as Dua Jameelah are the hallmarks of the Naqshbandiyyah, while the most memorable dua (invocations) are recited among the Chishtiyyah in the Khatme Khawajagaan.
The kutub (books) of salawaat (invoking blessings of Allah on the noble Prophet Sallallahu 'alaihi wa Sallam) that have gained the hearts of Muslims in Toronto are:
- Dalaail ul Khairaat (Proofs of Good Deeds) of Imam al-Jazuli,
- Jaaliya tul Akdaar (A Community With Meagre Means) of Mawlana Dhiya ud Deen Khalid al-Baghdadi,
- Tanbeehil Anaam (Exhorting Mankind) of Shaykh 'Abdul Jalil Bin 'Azoom,
- Lataaif il 'Arshiyyah (Mercies From Allah's Throne) of Sayyidunal Imam 'Ali bin Muhammad al-Habshi,
- Majmu'a Salawaat ur Rasul (Compilation of Invocations of Blessings) of Khawaja 'Abdul Rahman Chohravi, and
- Mishkaat-us-Salawaat (A Niche For Lit-Up Blessings) of Mawlana Muhammad Ilyas Burney, Rahmatullahi 'alaihim ajma'een.
The mureedeen (spiritual seekers) and muhibbeen (loving disciples) walk in Toronto with the nur (spiritual light) of the love of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu 'alaihi wa Sallam.
Sallu 'alan Nabi.
Allahumma Salli wa Sallim 'alaih.